From the Romans to Rock-n-Roll
From the Romans to Rock-n-Roll (A Short History of the Sibford-Swalcliffe-Epwell Hook Norton District) is a booklet published in 1960 in connection with a Local History Exhibition in the Village Hall. It was written by Leslie Baily, and is a by-product of his researches for a history of the Sibfords, which he never completed.
There is a huge amount of information in its 36 pages, which we have scanned for download as a pdf, either as 2-page spreads, or as single pages, the latter being more suitable for smaller screens and for printing.
You may learn:
- How the villages got their names
- Where to see the remains of a Cistercian monastery’s fish pools
- The connections in Sibford to the patron saint of wool-combers
- The impact of the Civil War, the Quakers and the Enclosure Acts on life in Sibford
- When the population of the Sibfords was 50% more than it is today
- … and much more.