Diary of Rev Edward Stevens

1886, July 3, Saturday 

Received a note this morning from Miss Annie Norris, of Swalcliffe Park, forwarded from home saying that Canon Payne died on Wednesday and inviting me to the funeral at 12 o’clock today. I therefore left Hellidon as soon as my horse and carriage were ready, viz 8.30 am. Reached Byfield 4½ miles at 9. Banbury at 10.20. Picked up at Wardington a Mr Walton, Schoolmaster of the Parish, who was walking towards Banbury. He is a native of Sibford and married a sister of Frederick Inns. He has had his present school 25 years. I put up my horse whilst I did some necessary business in the town and reached Swalcliffe at 12.5. Webb was there to meet me with surplice etc, but as the procession had entered the church and the Lesson was being read (by Mr Wyatt, Rector of Broughton) I did not robe. Mr White Assistant Curate, read the prayers at the grave. Revs Porter (Banbury), Gepp (Adderbury), Short (Bloxham), Smith (Tadmarton), Willy (Epwell), Gerahty (Shutford), Egerton (Bloxham) and one or two others whom I do not know were present besides the Norrises and Canon Richard Payne and his family, all the leading parishioners and some of the villagers.

I drove home immediately after the funeral, without going into the Vicarage.

Mr Bourchier’s youngest son Walter came in with Frank this evening. He is staying for a day or two with Misses Dix. He is the biggest boy for his age, 9 years, I ever saw.

A political meeting was held in the schoolroom this evening in the interests of the Radical party: Sir Bernhard Samuelson being present.

1886, July 4, Sunday 

Holy Communion and collections in church for Rev W. Bourchier’s “day in the Country fund” for his poor people in the parish of St Olave, Hanbury Street. The sum received amounted to £1.16.3.

Called on Mr E. White this evening.

1886, July 5, Monday

Took Bell to London for a few days change, as she has not had one since we brought Rosa back from London.

We left Banbury by 1.14 pm train. Drove to the Clergy Club (“National church Club” as it is now called) in New Bond Street, the Secretary of which I had requested to order a room for us. It had been taken accordingly at Edwards’s Royal Hotel, Hanover Square. After tea we went to hear the Moore and Burgess Minstrels at St. James’s Hall. The singing was remarkably good and the fun afterwards was very funny.

1886, July 6, Tuesday 

Took Bell to the Industrial Exhibition for India and the Colonies, called the “Colinderies” at South Kensington adjoining the Albert Hall.

Here we met Rev F. A. Wilson of Oxford and Mrs Wilson with whom we took refreshment in the shape of “Hock Cobbler”. As the day was intensely hot and we were very thirsty, the iced draught taken up through two straws was novel and refreshing. The Music and illuminations in the evening were particularly fine.

Click on an entry date to view an image of the original diary page.

Read about the Rev Edward Stevens here.