Diary of Rev Edward Stevens

1886, March 5, Friday 

Buried John Watts Ainge, aged 33.

Visited School. Only 60 children present, owing to the snow.

The Farm Committee consisting of Messrs Woolgrove, George Hall and Richard Page went over the farm with me to see what work was necessary to be done by the Trustees for Jesse Bishop who entered an occupation of the whole Farm last Michaelmas.

They returned here to tea at 5 o’clock, and at 7 we went up to the Schoolroom to receive, according to Notice under the Allotments Extension Act, applications for portions of the Fuel Land (10 acres) which Elijah Hancox wishes to give up. We let this in portions but no one cared to have any of the reserved furze field which we offered them for nothing till Michaelmas next and a rental of 2/6 an acre rising one or two shillings a year afterwards.

1886, March 8, Monday

Visited School, Fanny Barnes, Hannah Simmons and John Adkins whose daughter, aged about 12 has a bad foot, diseased bone, produced by fall of a stone on it. She was a wonderfully active and nice little girl, and apparently in the most vigorous health. No one would have thought that a slight injury of that kind would have had such serious results.

1886, March 10, Wednesday

Ash Wednesday. Intensely cold. Divine Service at 9.15.

Lewis Poulton, carpenter, (working for his father), a freeholder and farmer, objects to pay 3d. per week at our school for the education of his children, although all books etc. are provided free of charge and 2/6 is given each year to each child who passes the examination of the Government Inspector. He wants them to be received for 1d. per week which the labourers pay. The Trustees would not entertain his application by letter at their last meeting, and I told him that if he could say that he could not afford to pay more than one penny they might entertain his application. But he cannot do that. His idea and that of his brother-in-law, Frederick Inns is that the Trustees should not charge one more than another. He has written me one or two letters on the subject and spoken to me about it more than once. I called on him today and tried to show him that what the Trustees were doing was only right and proper and necessary for the maintenance of the School on its existing footing. He was polite enough but I do not think he can reconcile himself to being beaten, though he cannot call himself one of the “poor of Sibford Gower”.

Called to enquire after Mr George Dix who had a fainting fit last night, but is better this morning.

Divine Service this evening with a congregation of 60. Very cold.

Click on an entry date to view an image of the original diary page.

Read about the Rev Edward Stevens here.