Diary of Rev Edward Stevens

Thursday, 17th September, 1885 

Bad headache – did not sleep a wink last night.

Attended Guardians & School Attendance Committee at Banbury this morning. Drove Mr Davies in and out. He called in the evening and we went for a walk.

Mr Willy, of Epwell, with his son and younger daughter called this afternoon.

Sent hamper of apples to Aunt Emma.

Friday, 18th September, 1885

Lovely morning. Am much better than I was yesterday.

Paid T. J. Brown law expenses for Harry of £1.11.6.

John Manning, carpenter, of Sibford Ferris, removed on Tuesday with his family to a village near Reading, where he has work on an estate belonging to Mr Benyon. Manning and his brother were in business as Builders at Oxford and Didcot and were doing pretty well – but were ruined by failure of the Oxford Land & Building Society. He has been in Sibford about a year and a half but could get very little to do here. He served his apprenticeship with old Thomas Manning and returned to the old place to find all the business gone into the hands of more energetic men than Joseph Manning, who took to his father’s business.

Visited Mr and Mrs Davies.

Sunday, 20th September, 1885

Girls Sunday School presented an inkstand to Marion Shelswell this afternoon. I went in order to say a few words – but it was all over when I got there, as I had to help carry Rosa downstairs.

Attended Choir practice this evening.

Misses E. and L. Mann were there. Miss Mann said they had not finished harvest and would not assist in decorating the Church for Harvest Festival next Sunday and her father would not come if he had not finished.

I spoke to churchwardens about having a lamp outside church gate for use on winter nights – especially Lent and Advent. Of course Inns did not think it needed. I told them that those who came to church on week nights in Lent and Advent did think it was needed. He spoke about the mat at the west door and said a new one was required which would cost 30/- which I think a great deal of money, especially as the old one seems capable of being repaired. The Mr Woolgrove sad there was still a debt of £4 or £5 on the organ. I closed the discussion by saying I would consent to no expense being incurred till that was paid off.

Tuesday, 22nd September, 1885 

Mr and Mrs Davies came this evening. He and I walked round by Temple Mill and the “Gate Hangs High”.

Mr Woolgrove sent me a brace of partridges.

Click on an entry date to view an image of the original diary page.

Read about the Rev Edward Stevens here.