Diary of Rev Edward Stevens

1885, July 15, Wednesday 

Drove to Banbury at 7 am. Rev Thomas Smith of Brailes accompanying me to join North Oxon Archaeological excursion to Fairford, Quenington, Eastleach Turville, Eastleach Martin, Langford, Little Faringdon and Lechlade. Among the party were Rev E. Marshall, President, W. D. Macray, Secretary, Sir Henry Dryden, Ivens Vicar of Brize Norton, Loftus Cave, etc. We had a most enjoyable and interesting day – dined at Lechlade on our return and reached Sibford about 10 pm.

Met Hughes at Oxford Station on return.

Paid Mr Kinch of Deddington who is Treasurer, 10/- for two years’ subscription to the North Oxford Archaeological Association.

Rev G. and Mrs Davies called during my absence from home.

1885, July 18, Saturday

A little rain this evening, which was very much needed, after threatening 2 or 3 days.

Widow Harriet Sabin called and asked for wine for her mother-in-law.

1885, July 19, Sunday

Mr and Mrs Milburn are on a visit to Mrs Shelswell and were at Church this morning.

I taught Choir this evening.

1885, July 20, Monday

Webb was back at his work this morning.

Mr and Mrs Milburn and baby and Miss Shelswell called this morning.

I visited Rev Gabriel and Mrs Davies at Swalcliffe Vicarage this afternoon. Mr D and I walked to Shutford and called on Mr Gerrahty.

Mr Heygate Brooks, of Banbury, dentist, came to file teeth for Frank and Rosa. I paid him £1.

Also paid Daniel Hancox 2/6 for doing work for Webb.

1885, July 21, Tuesday

Dull : but no rain.

Mr John Spraggett, of Burdrop, called to ask whether the Heath Farm would be vacant at Michaelmas next, as he knew of a likely tenant. I replied that it was already let.

Visited John Manning, Mrs Thomas Manning, Mrs Norris, Mary Hone, Ann Fox, Henry Bishop, Betty Wilks, Ezra Green, Charles Legge who is very ill with something approaching D. T., Thomas Henry Hone and Gaydon.

One of Betty Wilks’ children, about 4 years of age, got into the pond this afternoon. Barber Haynes told me of it as a piece of news worth listening to, though according to his own account he stood in the road and looked on without making any effort to save the child, “He was afraid of his feet,” he said – doubtless the child would have been drowned had not the mother rushed down from her cottage – 100 yards off – and plunged in after the child and brought it out. Fortunately the pond had been cleaned of the 2 feet of mud there was in the middle and the holes had been filled with stones owing to my application to the Rural Sanitary Authority otherwise it is pretty certain the child would have been suffocated in it.

1885, July 22, Wednesday 

Colonel Ommanney, Rev G. Davies and Mrs Davies came to luncheon. Ommanney took Frank to Temple Mill fishing in the afternoon.

Miss Maria Dix called this evening.

Click on an entry date to view an image of the original diary page.

Read about the Rev Edward Stevens here.