Diary of Rev Edward Stevens

1884, October 24, Friday 

Met F. York Powell.

Visited the Pusey Library and chapel – and was much disappointed with the building. The Library is not open. I think some special building should have been erected – the present, which is an ordinary house – two or three rooms upstairs being turned into a chapel – is entirely unworthy of the object. I suppose that the bulk of the money subscribed has been invested as an endowment to provide salaries for the Librarians.

I left Jesus College – but missing the train I purposed going by and not liking the walk from Banbury to Sibford in the dark and possibly rain, put up at the Temperance Hotel. It was cheap and fairly clean, but of the “working man” style which I did not care for. The bed seemed damp and I consequently had a restless night.

1884, October 26, Sunday

Taught in Boys’ School this morning and attended Choir practice this evening.

Visited Mr George Dix who gets increasingly deaf, so that it is extremely difficult to carry on conversation with him.

1884, October 28, Tuesday 

Visited Canon Payne – he was ill in bed with bronchitis and I did not see him.

Visited C. Holder.

Miss Dix called this evening.

Attended Committee of Brass Band at the practice room at 7.30.

1884, October 29, Wednesday

Attended Ruridecanal Chapter at Cropredy (Dr W. Wood’s).

Had a meeting for C.M.S. in evening in my Schoolroom. Mr Mantle one of the Society’s agents exhibited Magic Lantern with views of China, Japan, etc. Mr Smith, of Brailes and his Curate, and son in law Mr Garrard brought Mr Mantle here. He had to leave early because of a telegram announcing his father’s serious illness. Mr Smith continued and conducted the lecture. The collection amounted to 30/-.

1884, October 30, Thursday

Attended Board of Guardians Meeting at Banbury. Took Frank – Webb drove. Called at Bloxham on way home and took lunch with Mr and Mrs Ommanney.

William Webb, son of my groom and gardener called and begged my pardon for all he had done wrong (though he had done me no wrong) and would I be kind enough to see if I could get him a Situation. I had some serious talk with him about his conduct to the manager of the Temperance Hall at Banbury when he was there – and reminded him that I had told him very particularly to leave his situation in a proper manner if he found it did not suit him. I said I would do what I could for him this time, but he must not expect me to do so again if he behaved ill. He must go and earn a character for himself, and the sooner he got away from Sibford the better.

The Bandsmen called this evening and paid me some more money which they had collected on my letter.

Click on an entry date to view an image of the original diary page.

Read about the Rev Edward Stevens here.