Diary of Rev Edward Stevens

1883, June 7, Thursday 

Attended School Attendance Committee at Banbury. One woman summoned before us from Hook Norton for not sending her daughter to School said the girl was nearly 13 and had nearly passed the 4th Standard. But having failed in one subject was discouraged and would not go to School. “She fannules me a’most, dear good genelmen, for hers taller not I be and a better woman too. I have tried my best to get her to school but – her won’t go, tho’ I’ve took her wi’ a card (cord) round her neck and swore as I’d hang her. I can’t do wi’ her no ways, dear good genelmen.”

“Well you had better give up talking about hanging her and try what reasoning with her kindly will do. Tell her her father will have to go before the Magistrates if she does not go to school. Will you do your best?”

“Yes, dear good genelmen, that I wool.”

Thank you Genelmen (curtsy) good day genelmen (curtsy repeated at the door.)

1883, July 5, Thursday

Thomas Webb, formerly postman here took to John Harris’s Carrying business today. The latter has been almost constantly getting drunk and neglecting his business for a long time.

1883, July 7, Saturday

…. Met Charles Lines who has just lost a horse from heart disease. I gave him a sovereign on Mr. Woolgrove’s recommendation from the Town Estate funds.

1883, July 14, Saturday

Mr. Bonner Relieving Officer and School attendance officer called and said he had communicated with Miss Shimmell respecting her “dame school”. She has closed for 3 months as some of the parents objected to pay for the half quarter and consequently would not send their children at all. She thought it not worth while to keep open for the rest and consequently the children are running about the roads, where they ought to be at School.

1883, July 30, Monday

… Word was brought to me by Mr. Enock’s daughter that a woman was dying in the road near her mother’s house. I went and found an Irish tramp with his wife who had fainted partly from hunger and partly from fatigue. Mrs. Enock was trying to revive her with some tea – but apparently without avail. I had a flask of brandy in my pocket and gave the poor woman a teaspoonful which soon revived her. The man was a bricklayer’s labourer “in search of employment” so he said, but they looked very like professional tramps. She was quite unable to get farther so I induced Mrs. Bishop of the Wykham arms to let them lie in her cart-shed for the night, and to provide them with food. …..

1883, July 31, Tuesday 

The Irishman and his wife left. He called to thank me, having been moved thereto by the people at the Wykham Arms. I paid Mrs. Bishop 2/6 for his entertainment.

Click on an entry date to view an image of the original diary page.

Read about the Rev Edward Stevens here.