Diary of Rev Edward Stevens

1874, January 12, Monday

Went to town in morning with Mountain. We called on our cousin W. Green, but he was not at home.

Drove out to Dulwich College in afternoon with Louie, Lottie and Mrs Shrapnell senior. Attended parochial “Penny Readings” at night. Mr Morse, Vicar of St John’s, came to supper.

1874, January 13, Tuesday

Left Mountain’s to stay a day or two with Thomas Brown’s, at Brixton (Burton Road). Mr Slaff came to dinner this evening. Mr and Mrs Estall called with one of their daughters.

1874, January 14, Wednesday

J Brown and I went to Bushey to see his children who are staying with their grandparents, Mr and Mrs Hill at Caldecot Farm.

1874, January 15, Thursday 

Went to Leytonstone. Called on Misses Norris and Medlicott who have a ladies’ school there.

de Trafford returned to Oxford this evening.

1874, January 22, Thursday

Evening party at my house. Present two Misses Hooper, two Misses Mardon, Mr and Mrs Wingate, Miss Harbage, Mr de Trafford. Mr and Mrs Wingate remained for the night.

1874, January 27, Tuesday

Harry returned to Rossall. Rosa left on visit to Rev Julius Henderson, St Luke’s Rectory, Heywood, near Manchester.

1874, January 29, Thursday

Mr and Mrs Wingate called to take farewell as they are going to Walford, near Ross, tomorrow, where he is to be curate.

I attended the Ruri-decanal Chapter at Cuddesdon when a debate took place on the Temperance movement.

1874, January 31, Saturday

Commenced my own week at New College.

Paid Rev F A Wilson £1.1. for examining Johns.

Rev Mr Stevens, Vicar of Adderbury, died.

1874, February 16, Monday

The date of this entry is guessed, since it begins on the page that has been torn out of the diary.

… for meal. I said “no”, you can not expect to be allowed to upset the “time-table” of the house with impunity.

“May I go out and get some, Sir?”

“Not with my permission,” I replied.

I then spoke a few words about discipline in the army, etc. He took it all wonderfully well, ate his bread and butter and drank his coffee and then cheerfully went on with his work.

This incident very much increased the respect I had always felt for him.

Mr Bear and his son called about the latter coming as pupil.

Click on an entry date to view an image of the original diary page.

Read about the Rev Edward Stevens here.