Diary of Rev Edward Stevens

1886, July 10, Saturday 

We left Dulwich this morning by the 11.52 train, Kate accompanying us home where we arrived at 5.15. I stopped at Church and took funeral of Fanny Barnes who died early Sunday morning last. I think they should have had her buried before, but they wanted me to read the service and so waited for my return.

Longmans & Co have returned my manuscript of the Teaching of the Prayer Book, replying that they feared its publication would not be remunerative.

Received a note this evening from Mrs Smith of Tadmarton rectory saying that her husband had been unwell since Wednesday last, and though better was not in a condition to take his duty tomorrow. They had got Mr Egerton of Bloxham to come over for the morning service. Would I take the afternoon or evening. I sent reply to the effect that I would take the service in the afternoon.

1886, July 11, Sunday 

Taught in Sunday School this morning.

Drove to Tadmarton for afternoon service at 3. Mr MacDermot, Churchwarden and Squire of the parish met me and told me that The Rev Edmund J. Smith the Rector died this morning at 4.30 very suddenly of syncope. Only last Sunday he preached two funeral sermons, one for the late Canon Edward Payne, and one for a parishioner of his own. Every one seemed much shocked at his sudden death.

My second service was at 7 o’clock this evening.

1886, July 12, Monday

Rain all day. Cassie Heming was to have left for London today, but was detained by the weather.

The Poll for North Oxfordshire — general Election after defeat of the Radical Government under Gladstone on the Irish Home Rule Bill — took place today. We voted at Swalcliffe. The candidates were Sir Bernhard Samuelson who has sat many years in parliament as a Radical, and Mr Wynne Conservative. The former was elected; but so greatly have the Radicals lost ground on the Irish question that his majority was 999 less than it was last November.

1886, July 13, Tuesday 

Drove Cassie to Banbury for the 11.25 train. Kate Mountain and Frank accompanied us.

Called on Mrs Smith at Tadmarton rectory to reply to her note, given me on the road, asking me to take the funeral of her husband on Thursday next at 1 o’clock, which I undertook to do.

Called on Mr MacDermot and promised to take afternoon service next Sunday and preach funeral sermon.

Visited John Reason and Reuben Bodfish, William Haines, Joseph Lines and Buckingham junior.

1886, July 14, Wednesday

Visited Sarah Keene. Spoke with W. Barnes’s wife.

Took Katie Mountain for a walk round Pound Lane, Tyne Hill and Sibford Ferris.

Click on an entry date to view an image of the original diary page.

Read about the Rev Edward Stevens here.