Diary of Rev Edward Stevens

1884, September 17, Wednesday 

Went to St Leonards to see Rev H Powell, St Paul’s House, Upper Maze Hill, about the preparatory school he wishes to transfer. I wrote him yesterday asking him to send me a line to the Post Office at Hastings asking him at what time tomorrow he would be able to show me the place.

I put up at Warrior House but it was so full they sent me to 32 Warrior Square to sleep.

1884, September 18, Thursday 

Very hot. Called on Rev H. Powell at 4.30 by his appointment. It seems a nice place enough – but Orellana & Co told me there were 18 pupils at from £80 to £150 and it turns out that there are only 14 pupils at an average of £80, some being less than £50. The accommodation is not large – even for the present number, and there are only 4 years of lease to run. He asks £500 for goodwill, or rather guineas and 100 guineas for lease. I would not mind £500 for goodwill if there were 18 pupils at from £80 to £150 – but do not consider the School in its present state worth what he asks for it.

1884, September 19, Friday

Visited Mr Powell again at 2.30 today at his request. Said I would not negotiate till Mrs Stevens had seen the place.

1884, September 20, Saturday

Returned to Sibford Gower, leaving St Leonards at 12, arriving Victoria 2.30, left Paddington 3.30, arrived Banbury 5.59.

Webb met me at the Station and told me that John Hathaway died on Wednesday and they wanted to bury him this afternoon. He expected the funeral would be waiting for me at the house – the weather being sultry. But when I arrived at Sibford Ferris I found they had postponed the funeral till tomorrow.

1884, September 22, Monday

Mrs Stock called to ask the “Rules about funerals” in my church yard. Their only son, an intemperate and idle man, has just died at Birmingham and they have some thoughts of bringing him here to be buried. He has been a great trouble and expense to his parents, and so I told her I would allow him to be buried here without charge as though he had been a parishioner.

They afterwards made up their minds to bury him at Birmingham. She seemed much upset by his death and expressed herself as very grateful to me. She is sister of my late Clerk, James Barnes, but neither she nor her husband has been to Church for years. She came once or twice after I first came here – I called one day on her – some 8 or 9 years ago and spoke about her husband, asking her to use her influence to bring him to Church with her. But she never brought him and I don’t think ever came herself afterwards.

Click on an entry date to view an image of the original diary page.

Read about the Rev Edward Stevens here.