Diary of Rev Edward Stevens

1881, December 12, Monday 

The Doctor gives poor hopes of Tay and says he will probably last not more than 24 or 36 hours. I went to see him. His wife is in great trouble and asked me to write to Farnborough near (blank) for the character of a young man who (h)as applied for situation of blacksmith in Tay’s place. I therefore wrote to the clergyman of the parish.

1881, December 13, Tuesday 

Visited Schol. On my way back I met Thomas Stock, formerly a labouring man, but who, by industry and frugality has amassed a good bit of money. I am told he broke his collarbone whilst I was on the continent and I therefore enquired about his health. When I left him he turned round and said “But I’ve had a wus accident nor that, Sir” – I did not understand what he meant at first, but on enquiry found that he was alluding to a pecuniary loss. He had lent Mr R. Routh senior, farmer and formerly Master of the Friends’ School at Sibford Ferris, who was always supposed to be a well to do man £300, and that he had now become bankrupt – that Thomas Meadows had lent him about £200 and Eliza Barnes, widow of my late Clerk had lent him – or rather I should perhaps say deposited with him at interest, the whole of her money £100 and that several other persons in poor circumstances in Sibford were sufferers too.

Very foggy day.

Thomas Coleman called and I let him S.F. allotment no. 8.

Visited Miss Dix, Mrs Dix and Ann Payne. Tay is better.

1881, December 14, Wednesday 

Harry returned from Oxford – “ploughed” 4th time for Responsions.

Tay is still better.

Rosa kept her bed all day, her hip being very painful.

1881, December 15, Thursday

Very wet. Taught in School. Visited  Tay. Doctor came to see Rosa and said she must have a splint for her leg.

Visited Thomas Lively.

I sent a second 10/- stamp to Charity Commissioners for stamp on order for new trusteeship of Fuel Land.

One 10/- stamp is for appointment of trustees and the other for Vesting property in them.

1881, December 19, Monday

Frederick George, infant son of Thomas Fox of Blenheim who was baptized yesterday week died suddenly on Saturday. An inquest was held to day – verdict “died from natural causes.” Mary Hone called and asked me to bury the remains at 4 pm tomorrow.

Visited Tay.

Whilst the Doctor was here this evening a messenger came to say that his father was taken ill.

Rosa had a splint fixed on today.

Click on an entry date to view an image of the original diary page.

Read about the Rev Edward Stevens here.