Diary of Rev Edward Stevens

1884, October 3, Friday 

In bed till 3 pm with severe cold in head.

Miss A Stevens and Miss Maria Dix came to tea. Mr Henry Stevens was to come as well as Miss Dix and her sister Sarah – but they walked to the Grange – Mr Page’s in the afternoon and did not get back in time.

1884, October 6, Monday

Visited Hannah Keene, Mrs Shelswell and Dr Routh who at my request gave me a bottle of physic for my cough.

1884, October 7, Tuesday

Visited Miss Dix this evening and paid her money for Girls’ Clothing Club. Miss Stevens got up as usual this morning, but not feeling well, went to bed again. She was out painting all yesterday morning and had Frank with her; so probably she caught a chill. Her brother left on Saturday last.

1884, October 8, Wednesday 

Miss Dix sent word this morning that Miss Stevens died about 4 o’clock, before the doctor could arrive. Miss Maria had gone to Oxford to find her brother. Frank was very much cut up and so was Rosa.

Visited School, Miss Dix, Horsman and wife, Jane Legge.

The cutting pasted into the diary for this date is from the Banbury Guardian of 9 October and contains a report on the Board of Guardians meeting of 2nd October, which is where we have included it.

1884, October 9, Thursday 

Drove Bell to Banbury intending to take her to Stratford on Avon to see Trinity College School which is for transfer. I had previously written to Mr Curry the Head Master and asked him to telegraph to me at Banbury Post Office if it would be convenient for him to see us. But there was no telegram – so we returned home – after waiting a while at Grimbly’s and having some conversation with Mrs Grimbly and her daughter. It rained nearly all the way home.

We met Mr and Mrs Wyatt of Broughton on our way in. They were coming out to Sibford to call on Miss Dix. Miss Augusta Stevens was staying with them before she came here and was to have returned to them.

Richard Gaydon and John West Secretary and Treasurer of Sibford Band called and asked me whether they ought to pay Mr Griffin £5 to forward to the Musical Instrument Manufacturers on account as an earnest of their good faith. They had commissioned him to order the instruments and therefore, I told them, they should take him the money, getting a receipt from him, and giving them the Manufacturers’ receipt when he received it. I talked to them very seriously about neglect of Church.

Click on an entry date to view an image of the original diary page.

Read about the Rev Edward Stevens here.