Diary of Rev Edward Stevens

1879, August 3, Sunday

Visited the Misses Dix this evening. Miss M Dix of Brighton was there.

I have ordered of Hancox of Lower Tysoe a stone to memory of late James Barnes with following inscription – about which I conferred with the Dixes a week or ten days ago.

Erected by subscription to the memory of James Barnes, for 25 years clerk of this Parish. Born etc. Died etc

“I am the Resurrection and the Life saith the Lord.”

This evening, although I had considered the matter of this inscription settled to the general satisfaction, Misses E and M Dix expressed an opinion that “Erected by Subscription” was open to objection as not being warm enough. I said I had considered it settled and had given orders accordingly and that probably it was too late to make any alteration even if I desired to do so, which I did not, as I thought, considering all things, we could not improve upon what had been settled.

Attended Sunday School this morning and Choir practice this evening.

Visited Sally Green who has an attack of erysipelas in the left eye, supposed to have been brought on by her carrying on her head for 14 miles a bundle of dirty old clothes belonging to her son “Tim” whom she went to see a week or two ago. She shewed me the clothes which she had washed and mended with much loving care – a coat, waistcoat and two pairs of cord trousers. She was very proud of the “clean and comfortable and respectable suit, even to a shirt” which she had ready for him when he comes home – though they were “as black as your coal sir” she said “and as filthy too.”

Holy Communion this morning. Offertory 15/4.

1879, August 4, Monday 

Mr Smith, Sophie, Hattie and myself accompanied Warwickshire Archaeological Society on excursion to Coventry, staying at Leamington for an hour or two on the way. Very fine and pleasant day.

1879, August 5, Tuesday 


The Doctor called and told me he feared Jarvis’s youngest child had scarlatina.

Mrs William Harris of Sibford Ferris who is a trifle better sent to me for some champagne. I sent her a bottle, though the Doctor afterwards told me that though he had told them it would be the best thing for her he had no idea they would send to me for it, they being he thought, able to provide it for her – or at least their relations in Sibford were.

1879, August 6, Wednesday

Drove to Banbury taking Rosa. Called at Mr Henderson’s where Rosa stayed for the night.

Visited Mrs Pearce and Mrs Mawle.

Click on an entry date to view an image of the original diary page.

Read about the Rev Edward Stevens here.