Diary of Rev Edward Stevens

1879, March 22, Saturday 

Intensely cold northeast wind. Slight fall of snow last night. Kirkland somewhat better. Doctor came twice.

Annie and Clarkson Smith came to tea. Harry, who walked over to Brailes this morning with Annie Martin, returned to Brailes with them.

Horsman called and I paid him £2.7 for my walls.

1879, March 23, Sunday

Intensely cold N.E. wind.

Some of the School children having injured the Harmonium in the School room I asked Mr Elley to repair it which he said he could do, and told him I would pay him. As the instrument is useless, Maria Dix conducted the choir practice at her house.

Jesse Green’s wife was churched this afternoon. I called to congratulate her – she had not come in, but I saw her husband and the baby.

Harry returned from Brailes at 2.30 pm. Webb drove him to Banbury for 6.24 train on his way to Derby. Telegram this morning from Rev Walter Clark saying it was imperative that Harry should be at his post at 9 tomorrow morning.

Kirkland much better, but did not go out. I walked to Epwell this evening and called on Mr Montagu. Webb staid at home with Kirkland this afternoon. Bell staid this morning.

1879, March 24, Monday

Trustees Meeting at 2 pm. School was kept on in one room. Canon Payne could not come being laid up with gout. Mr Norris took the chair.

Visited Misses Dix and Mrs Mawle. Confirmees Class Boys in School room at 7 pm.

Old Mr Sims – 85 or 86 – a quaker, died this morning.

1879, March 25, Tuesday 

Divine Service at Church at 9.15 am.

Visited and taught in School.

Visited Widow William Keene, not at home.

Choir practice with Mr Wells this evening.

Visited Edward Scruby who is very bad with inflammation of heart and lungs. He was asleep and I would not let his wife awaken him, promising to call again in the morning. I had thought he was a Quaker as I don’t remember ever to have seen him at Church and he works for Mr R Routh. He seemed so respectable a man that I mentally accounted for his not coming to Church and not touching his hat to me by supposing him to be a quaker and I am under the impression that some one told me he was one. His wife now tells me he has been baptized and confirmed and that “when he goes anywhere” which is barely once a year he goes to church.

Visited Dr Routh.

Click on an entry date to view an image of the original diary page.

Read about the Rev Edward Stevens here.