Diary of Rev Edward Stevens

1878, October 14, Monday 

Sibford Wake – whole holiday at School. Miss Dix assisted at Penny Bank morning and evening. She told me that her brother-in-law, Mr Hawe had broken a blood vessel in the throat and that it was feared he would not recover. She was going to her sister’s assistance tomorrow.

Josh Holtom’s of Bilberry Cottage called to pay rent of allotment 6/6 reduced from 7/6 on recommendation of Stewards who say it is worth 1/- a year less than the others.

Mr R Lamb’s 2 elder sons called and submitted to me a report of Temperance Meeting to be sent to the Banbury Guardian. They had prefaced it with a long and rather warm account of the doings of Mr Ker and Miss Cobb in the Gospel tent. I told them I could have nothing to do with the report of their doings and that I did not think they had done good, rather harm, in coming here – etc. etc. The elder of the two young men told me after a time that his father entertained much the same views as myself with respect to the matter.

1878, October 15, Tuesday 

Drove to Adderbury to luncheon with Mr Gepp and take part in selection of music for next Choral festival. Mr Bailey of Milton and Mr Evans of Ratley were there. Mr and Mrs Wyatt of Broughton came in after noon.

Mrs Shelswell called to consult me about value of reversion to £8000 odd on life of her brother aged 51 – which is to come to her son Oscar on his death. He has offered £1000 in addition to £400 or £500 already had. I asked her to let me have fuller particulars and I would get information for her.

W Hall called with his allotment rent and Jesse Green called and asked me for allotment. I promised to consider the matter and let him know in a day or two.

1878, October 16, Wednesday 

Visited Miss S Dix and returned certain music books she had lent me for yesterday. Visited school. Singing lesson going on. Teaching very indifferent.

1878, October 17, Thursday

Drove to Brailes and Shipston.

Received letter from Rev Osbert Mordaunt Rector of Hampton Lucy about William Spicer who has been in farm service there for past year, but who injured his hand with a gun about 3 months ago and has not been able to do any work since. Mr Mordaunt has a better opinion of him than I have been able to form – the boy appears to have told him that I had spoken to him about confirmation, but that he had declined becoming a candidate then. W. Spicer is now at home where he will remain until he is fit to go to work again. I spoke to him yesterday but was not very well satisfied with his manner.

Click on an entry date to view an image of the original diary page.

Read about the Rev Edward Stevens here.