Diary of Rev Edward Stevens

1874, October 8, Thursday 

Mrs Martin was buried at Sandford this afternoon. Lee took the office but quite broke down in the middle of it. I was present but not robed.

1874, October 10, Saturday

Mr Macduff Assistant Surgeon at the Asylum called. I walked part of the way to Littlemore with him on his return.

1874, October 11, Sunday

I took duty morning and afternoon for Mr Holland; Rector who is ill. Taylor Taswell drove home with me and dined.

1874, October 12, Monday

I sent Fraser to Mr Wilson to examine and report as to his fitness for Responsions with a view to his matriculation at Christ Church. I paid Mr W a guinea for his assistance.

1874, October 14, Wednesday

Mr Wilson reports that Mr Fraser is not ready for matriculation. Hawker Hughes returned to Oxford for the term. I called on him this evening. College meeting at New.

1874, October 15, Thursday 

Entries on these two pages are mistakenly dated September rather than October.

Received a letter from the warden of New College telling me that the College appointed me to the Vicarage of Sibford yesterday. Mr Bourchier, lately Vicar of Sibford called this morning and asked me to see him in College this evening. When I went I had great difficulty in finding him. Having accomplished this — he was with Dickins in an undergrad’s rooms, he seemed to have nothing to say except a platitude about “those few sheep in the wilderness” etc and, I thought, treated me in as cool and insulting a manner as I ever experienced. Mihi stultissimus magnus videtur.

Mr Smith, Curate of Marston, called this afternoon.

Mihi stultissimus magnus videtur — He seems to me an exceptionally stupid man.


1874, October 17, Saturday

Went to Mongewell Park this Monday on the invitation of Mr and Mrs Fraser. John C Fraser and de Teissier accompanied me. Mr Johns and his son Wilfred called just as we were leaving.

1874, October 18, Sunday

Mrs Fraser, in carriage and pair, drove John , myself and de Teissier to Dorchester where she (a Belgian lady) attended the Roman Catholic Chapel. We went to the Abbey Church.

In the evening we went to St Mary’s, Abingdon.

1874, October 19, Monday 

I returned from Mongewell to Oxford, via Didcot to which I was driven by Mr Fraser’s coachman in a dog-cart. John Fraser and Georges de Teissier remained behind till Tuesday.

Hawker Hughes came to dinner this evening.

1874, October 21, Wednesday

Went to Sibford. Thomas Braddell accompanied me. Called on Mr Montagu Payne, locum tenens, who lodges at the school-house. He accompanied to call on Mr Hitchcox and Mr Woolgrove, churchwardens, and Mr Mawle, one of the Trustees of the Charity Estates.

I brought home some apples and walnuts from the Vicarage orchard.

Click on an entry date to view an image of the original diary page.

Read about the Rev Edward Stevens here.