Diary of Rev Edward Stevens

Sunday, 4th October, 1874

Mrs Martin of Sandford died. Went to Sandford. Preached this afternoon. Mr Lee said he was delighted to see me.

Monday, 5th October, 1874 

Monsieur Georges de Teissier of Rue San Lazare, Paris, came as pupil, introduced by Chevallier Bui, French Professor.

Should be Rue Saint-Lazare. Possibly Buè rather than Bui.

Thursday, 8th October, 1874

Mrs Martin was buried at Sandford this afternoon. Lee took the office but quite broke down in the middle of it. I was present but not robed.

Sunday, 11th October, 1874

I took duty morning and afternoon for Mr Holland; Rector who is ill. Taylor Taswell drove home with me and dined.

Monday, 12th October, 1874

I sent Fraser to Mr Wilson to examine and report as to his fitness for Responsions with a view to his matriculation at Christ Church. I paid Mr W a guinea for his assistance.

Wednesday, 14th October, 1874

Mr Wilson reports that Mr Fraser is not ready for matriculation. Hawker Hughes returned to Oxford for te term. I called on him this evening. College meeting at New.

Thursday, 15th October, 1874 

Entries on these two pages are mistakenly dated September rather than October.

Received a letter from the warden of New College telling me that the College appointed me to the Vicarage of Sibford yesterday. Mr Bourchier, lately Vicar of Sibford called this morning and asked me to see him in College this evening. When I went I had great difficulty in finding him. Having accomplished this — he was with Dickins in an undergrad’s rooms, he seemed to have nothing to say except a platitude about “those few sheep in the wilderness” etc and, I thought, treated me in as cool and insulting a manner as I ever experienced. Mihi stultissimus magnus videtur.

Mr Smith, Curate of Marston, called this afternoon.

Mihi stultissimus magnus videtur — He seems to me an exceptionally stupid man.


Saturday, 17th October, 1874

Went to Mongewell Park this Monday on the invitation of Mr and Mrs Fraser. John C Fraser and de Teissier accompanied me. Mr Johns and his son Wilfred called just as we were leaving.

Sunday, 18th October, 1874

Mrs Fraser, in carriage and pair, drove John , myself and de Teissier to Dorchester where she (a Belgian lady) attended the Roman Catholic Chapel. We went to the Abbey Church.

In the evening we went to St Mary’s, Abingdon.

Monday, 19th October, 1874 

I returned from Mongewell to Oxford, via Didcot to which I was driven by Mr Fraser’s coachman in a dog-cart. John Fraser and Georges de Teissier remained behind till Tuesday.

Hawker Hughes came to dinner this evening.

Click on an entry date to view an image of the original diary page.

Read about the Rev Edward Stevens here.